Anyone can tell you what Google is looking for with regards to site rankings BUT are they right? We honestly cannot say that we know exactly what goes into their algorithm, same with Yahoo and all the rest, but we can say we know what works.
Here’s what I know works:
On page optimization
- Name your pictures with keywords (ALT tags)
- Have concise yet targeted Title and Description tags for each page that are consistent with the content on the page
- Optimize graphics to a manageable size – to say no more than 20 KB – smaller than that is better
- Write your own content – content is KING!!
- Use keywords in your anchor text or hyperlinks – ex: Custom Real Estate Website Design
- Use keywords in your content without sounding redundant (hard part)
- Add content to your site – You don’t have to go crazy with it, but if you spent an hour every two months on your site, you’d be ahead of the curve
Off Page Optimization
- List your site on the search engines (actually this will happen anyways but it’s still best to do it for a new site)
- Get reciprocal or one-way (better) links from local businesses or submit to directories (online phonebooks)
- Market yourself through your social media sites – (This is a subject unto itself)
- Put your website address on all of your marketing material (this may sound obvious, but I can tell you it does not always happen and is another subject that will be addressed)
- If you can, post your link anytime you can, be it a blog, a forum, your company site, community sites etc.
OK, there is W A Y more to talk about than this, but these are the things that work for sure and I know I’ll need to articulate further on the other subjects soon. Every time I take it for granted that most people know these things, I’m quickly reminded that I’m wrong. Please forgive the vanilla post, but sometimes it’s best to start with the basics and expound from there.
Have a good weekend!